Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Day 3: Monday, Dec. 21st

The big highlight of the day (sad, I know!) was that we finally made it to the grocery store. We were happy to be able to cook something, instead of eating pizza for the third night in a row. We attempted to go to the grocery on Sunday after our luggage search was over, but stores close early here on Sundays, we are so spoiled with our 24 hour supermarkets. The US currency is widely accepted here, which is nice. The guilder, also called the florin, is the currency (picture of money below) of Curacao. At the bottom is our 1 cent piece next to theirs, which is so tiny.


Above is a map of where Curacao is located, for those of you wondering where the hell we are! Cuacao is about 40 miles north of Venezuela.

The tap water here is safe to drink and tastes so much better than our water at home. I let Mark try it first, he is braver than I! My plan was to just drink bottled water, but we have both been drinking it with no problems.

Driving here is an adventure! Our original thought was that I would drop Mark off at school and then have the car to go places if I wanted. I have yet to drive anywhere. There are no street signs, people drive very fast and there is always a lot of traffic. We have made lots of wrong turns and have had to back track because you have to make split second decisions about which way to go. I feel most comfortable just staying in our neighborhood while he is away at class. Taking walks with Jake, blogging and lounging by the pool will probably be my morning agenda for the next three weeks, not too shabby!

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering where the hell you were - thanks for the map!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water is better then in Ohio, that's really good. I think Ohio water is pretty good myself because the water down here in Florida tastes like sewage covered up by chlorine. haha I don't even like to cook with our water. Glad you're relaxing!

    Love ya,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. The water is way better than Ohio. When you hold a glass up to look at it, there is nothing floating in it! :)

    ReplyDelete